Introducing fabric to the inside of any space improves the acoustics, helps with solar glare, creates a feature and can be used to define a space. This article will walk you through the benefits of interior fabric applications.
Modern offices, atriums and public spaces often suffer from problematic acoustic reverberation issues, due mainly to the prevalence of highly reflective surfaces such as floors, furniture, glazing, walls and ceilings. These hard surfaces can result in undesirable echo effects that contribute to a high level of background noise and make normal conversation difficult.
High-frequency acoustic absorption can easily be achieved through the application of acoustically engineered fabrics or by the addition an absorbent foam or quilt behind an acoustically-transparent fabric, resulting in lower levels of background noise and a more pleasant experience for all visitors.
Acoustics in Action: Saga Call Centre
Specially engineered solar meshes can be utilised to control natural daylight, offering shading benefits while maximising natural light. Regulating natural daylight with operable systems of moveable fabric structures will not only reduce lighting bills, it can also reduce air conditioning bills during hot summer months and heating bills during bright winter days.
The semi-translucent nature of the meshes allows diffused light to permeate while maintaining a view of the scene behind, ideal where a sense of space and openness needs to be maintained.
Solar Shading in Action: ISL Screens
Thermal Insulation & Ventilation:
Fabric membranes can carry quilting such as Rockwool to their rear face to offer thermal insulation properties if requires. Conversely, if ventilation needs to be maintained, then open-cell fabrics of varying mesh sizes will allow natural (or controlled) airflow to permeate.
Tensile fabric offers a discreet, cost-effective and striking way of dividing up spaces, controlling foot-flow and enclosing break-out areas and meeting spots. The fabric can be semi-translucent or totally opaque, offer projection surfaces for presentations, and include acoustic absorption to enhance privacy.
Screening in Action: BT Call Centre, Leavesden Park
Tensile fabric panels can be used as cost-effective and more aesthetic alternatives to traditional suspended ceiling systems and wall panels, with visual interest and 3D form easily added as part of the design process. Panels can be modular, lightweight, and easily removed for access and maintenance.
Linings in Action: The O2 Entry Plaza
Branding & Promotion:
Nearly all of our fabrics can be printed digitally or by using dye sublimation, which makes promotional branding, personalising, colouring, and addition of artwork simple and cost-effective. Suspended kites within a caf, for example, can easily be printed with the caf name to enhance brand awareness and add more cohesion to the overall dcor. Similarly, a fabric screen or sail behind a corporate reception desk could feature the company logo or relevant artwork.
Promotion in Action: Lexus IS series launch
The nature of tensile fabric forms means they lend themselves well to both external and internal illumination. At Architen Landrell we have our in-house lighting division that uses the latest cutting-edge technology to enhance our fabric structures when required. Lighting can be fully programmable, switchable or fully automatic and can be used to make the structures glow, pulse, and change colours.
Fabric is an excellent light reflector, but as well as illuminating the fabric products themselves, lighting can be incorporated as part of the overall building strategy, with direct lighting built into the fabric framework or with the membrane itself acting as a diffuser for ambient artificial light.
Lighting in Action: Kingswalk Shopping Centre
Other posts by Architen Landrell
- It’s Spring Cleaning Time!
- Lights, Video, Snow!
- Mystery Project
- New Self Cleaning Fabric: Inspired by Nature
- Architen Wins 4 Awards
- Shortlisted: Builder & Engineer Awards
- St Georges Park Turns 1!
- Fashionable New Serpentine Sackler Gallery
- Invitation to View Olympic Structure
- Architen Wins 2nd Place in River Race!
- Record Breaking Day: T20
- Munhak Aquatic Centre: Ready for the Asian Games
- Paddling for a Good Cause!
- Latest Newsletter: Maintenance is Necessary
- Soundforms: Making Headlines in Turkey
- RIBA Recommended
- The Ashes is Under Way
- Own a Piece of Olympic History
- 8 Prestigious London 2012 Projects
- 31C, Sun, Shade & Bunting @Westfield
- Finally Revealed: 8 Prestigious London 2012 Projects
- The Water Polo Arena Wins ‘Best Sustainable Project of the Year’
- We Made 2012!
- Architen Recognised for London 2012
- Architects, Interested in ETFE?
- Going UP: Steel Frame @ Ayr Central
- Fabric Has a Second Life
- A View to a Thrill: The Shard
- Mark Fisher, Creative Genius
- Latest Newsletter: Dramatic Fabric Interiors
- Glastonbury Begins!
- Going Up: Canopies Create Outdoor Learning Zones
- V&A Furniture Gallery Now Open
- Get Fit, Go Green, Cycle to Work
- Walking for a Good Cause
- Sun Control, From the Inside Out
- Now Open: Mary Rose Museum
- Walk to Work Week
- Made to Measure
- Fabric Cladding ‘Dresses Up’ Unsightly Buildings
- Olympic Legacy: Fabric Stadium Wrap Has a New Purpose
- A Winning Combination: Football & Fabric
- ‘High-Light’: 30m Academy Features ETFE Roofs
- Update from South Korea: Munhak Aquatics Venue
- Soundforms Takes Centre Stage
- Brand New Video Series!
- Architen Landrell recieves not one but two Awards of Excellence at the 2012 IFAI Awards!
- Tensile fabric incorporating lighting
- Tensile fabric’s Antarctic Expedition!
- Promoting Structural Engineering in Education
- Meet silicon coated glass cloth
- Meet PTFE
- Meet PVC
- Effects of a bomb blast on tensile fabric structures and ETFE
- Acoustics and tensile fabric
- Is solar control possible with tensile fabric structures?
- The insulation properties of tensile fabric structures
- 5 reasons to use tensile fabric in your school
- All-weather canopy!
- ETFE Guide: Controlling Solar Gain
- Tensile fabric and sports grounds
- Ever wished you could print on your building? … You can!
- The effects of a power failure on an ETFE cushion roof
- Zaha Hadid’s Venice Biennale Plans
- ETFE Quick Guide II – Cushion systems
- ETFE Quick Guide III – control systems
- Recycle or re-use?
- Good for the environment and helping City children, win win!
- A very quick guide to ETFE
- What being an intern at Architen is like
- Tensile fabric, an Olympic effort
- How tensile fabric can brighten up hospitals
- Tensile fabric requires maintenance
- Welding tensile fabric
- The tensile fabric manufacturing process
- Architen summer 2012 newsletter is out!
- Chepstow Festival is covered!!
- Alingsas workshop sponsorship
- Tensile fabric roof replaced, at 33 years old!
- Using fabric inside
- How does a structure develop from the design team to being on the factory floor ready to be made?
- Tensile fabric & temporary structures
- Standard structures: a cost effective way to create beautiful tensile architecture
- What can we use tensile fabric for?
- What shapes can tensile fabric create?
- Famous examples of tensile structures
- Why tensile?
- University PhD partnership proves successful
- SMSTS Success for Architen Landrell Project Managers
- Architen Landrell supports SARA Lifeboat in need
- Innovative ceiling for McLaren Production Team courtesy of Architen Landrell
- Worlds first mobile performance shell launched in London
- Architen Landrell Shortlisted for the 2011 Builder & Engineer Awards!
- Watch us on site at Trinity Walk, Wakefield – ETFE Roof installation!
- Manufacturing and repair service launched!
- James shaves the day for Comic Relief!
- Living and Breathing; Architen Landrell on site for the ‘Big 4’ interactive sculpture!
- Anyone for the Opera? Architen Landrell win Garsington Opera project!
- World Cup Victory for Architen Landrell!
- Architen Landrell wins IFAI 2010 International Achievement Award
- Showcasing Design: Architen Landrell at the London Design Festival
- Brand new range of standard products!
- Architen Landrell go to Glastonbury
- Architen Landrell health and safety performance recognised by leading contractor
- Architen Landrell embarks on KTP Programme in conjunction with Nottingham Trent University
- Reuse, Recycle, Relocate: The Eco-Friendly way to install a Tensile Fabric Structure
- Eat Street Canopy Acclaimed!
- Blazing Paddles Rafting Success!
- Architen Landrell contributes towards RHS Chelsea Flower Show winner!
- Architen Landrell attains ISO 14001 Accreditation!
- Green machine: Architen Landrell help build the first eco-phone charger!
- Architen Landrell wins at the Cardiff Design Awards!
- Conker Championship 2008
- Fabric installation at the Venice Beinnale declared a triumph!
- Prime Minister starts his summer holiday with a trip to an Architen Landrell structure!
- Recharge and Renew; Architen Landrell helps to promote renewable energy!
- Uplifted: Architen Landrell construct stage for the Lift Festival 2008
- Tee Off!
- Tabard Square claims the Gold
- Architen Landrell gets the Designer look!
- HRH Prince Charles opens the newly restored Royal Hall at Harrogate
- Architen Landrell wins at the Enfield Design Awards!
- Employees Celebrate Ten Years at Architen Landrell!
- Architen Landrell team travel to USA to install snow management system
- Christine wins company Conker Contest!
- Architen Landrell wins at the IFAI Achievement Awards 2007!
- Tabard Square wins Housing Development Award!
- Architen Landrell join Edwin Shirley Staging in catering for some of the greatest names in music!
- Architen Landrell Wins Best Business Entry at Annual Charity Raft Race!
- Charity Raft Race for the Architen Landrell Boys!
- Architen Landrell begins works on ETFE Roofs for two Oldham Schools
- Architen Landrell helps Butlins prepare for the Smoking Ban!
- Architen Landrell proclaimed innovative by UK Trade & Investment
- Architen Landrell opens a new RISE Training Centre
- Manchester International Festival commissions a stunning tensile fabric pavilion
- A New Canopy for Opera Holland Park
- Architen Landrell set to transform the Dome
- Architen Landrell and World Golf Systems to take the USA by storm
- Architen Landrell to speak at the TensiNet Symposium 2007
- Kensington Oval in Barbados
- IFAI Awards 2006
- Montage Mountain Amphitheatre
- New Architen Landrell Web Site Launches
- Imperial War Museum Duxford, UK